Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

LOADED POTATO SOUP

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (620g)
Recipe makes 16 servings
The following items or measurements are not included below:
Tony Chachere's Seasoning
Calories 617
Calories from Fat 273
(44%)
Amount Per Serving
%DV
Total Fat 30.4g
46%
Saturated Fat 10.8g
53%
Monounsaturated Fat 15.9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 44mg
14%
Sodium 1394mg
58%
Potassium 1320mg
37%
Total Carbohydrate 60.6g
20%
Dietary Fiber 5.8g
23%
Sugars 11.7g
Protein 26.8g
53%

Loaded Potato Soup
Recipe #388308 40 min 10 min prep

By: Heartsong Sep 1, 2009
I suppose it qualifies as flat belly, but I'm not sure. I made a white roux with flour and olive oil. I tried for about a half tablespoon of olive oil or so per serving, but the kids ate enough before I got back today that I couldn't accurately measure to see how many cups the recipe made, although I did my best. I had to look at the line left on the pot. Pair a bowl of soup with a salad with olive oil in the dressing and it should be OK. If anyone knows different, let me know. I have thickened potato soup with just the potatoes in the past. This certainly increases the fat and calories. It was delicious, though. I do think you could blend some fat free cottage cheese until smooth and get a good cheese flavor. I didn't have any. Also the fat free cream cheese would be good. I have read that Panera Bread puts cream cheese in their potato soup. Both would reduce fat in the soup. You could garnish with the reduced fat cheddar, then and keep the cheddar flavor without all the calories. I will try them later and post a potato soup II if it's good. Be sure and garnish with bacon( I bought a bag of the 50% reduced fat bits to sprinkle on top) and chives or green onions. It makes all the difference. The kids did think it was the best potato soup I ever made. But I think they say that nearly every time. I am kind of a process cook rather than a recipe cook. Zaar has helped me to pay attention to both. Serving size-2 cups soup.
SERVES 16 -20 , 32 -40 cups (change servings and units)

Ingredients
1 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups flour
3 onions, diced
1 bunch celery, sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil, for garlic
4-6 garlic cloves, pressed
16 medium potatoes, diced
8 cups water
8 cups 2% low-fat milk
16 ounces fat free sour cream
2 lbs reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Seasoning (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)

Directions
1. Bring potatoes, salt and water to boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
2. Saute onions and celery in olive oil until tender(about 10 minutes).
3. Add flour to onion and celery mixture and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not brown. You are making a blonde roux.
4. Add the milk one cup at a time and incorporate fully before you add another cup. Bring to a low boil and reduce to simmer, stir frequently.
5. Add potatoes in water.
6. Saute garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes and add to soup.
7. Add pepper and Tony's.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Stir in cheese.
10. Stir in sour cream.
11. Adjust seasonings to taste. I did add a little extra salt, pepper, and Tony's at the end, but I sprinkled and didn't measure those. I also sprinkled with a little paprika, but that may be the flavor my son commented on that was different. I wasn't going for different. The measurements for salt, pepper and Tony's given were what I started with.
12. Be sure and garnish with bacon, green onion, and a little extra cheese. It does make it decadent.

No comments:

Post a Comment