TOMATO ZUCCHINI BISQUE
Serving Size 1 (284g)
Recipe makes 12 servings
Calories from Fat 80
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 8.9g
Saturated Fat 3.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrate 11.8g
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
Tomato Zucchini Bisque
Recipe #391023 45 min 5 min prep By: Heartsong Sep 21, 2009
This was a quick bisque I whipped up. Just an idea if you are tying to use veggies from your garden. It was delicious.I added some hot banana peppers and jalapeno peppers to ours, but most people don't like that much kick. That was just to make it spicy. You can try that if you like. The whipping cream is not neccessary, leave it out and it will still be delicious. You also may incorporate about a cup of grated parmesan with your immersion blender after you take it off the heat. I couldn't decide if I liked it better on top or incorporated. It was good both ways. Serve with hot, crusty bread. (See my 10 minute bread. It is quick and delicious.)
SERVES 12 , 3 quarts
3 zucchini (large, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks or sliced, it doesn't matter)
2 onions (cut into 1/8ths)
2 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 bulb of garlic (top sliced off to expose cloves)
2 bell peppers, any color, quartered
4 tablespoons olive oil (or as desired)
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (You may use 8 small or 4 large fresh tomatoes)
1 quart chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup whipping cream (optioinal)
1/2 cup sweet basil, a large handful
parmesan cheese (grated or sliced on top)
1. Simmer tomatoes, carrots and celery in broth. You may roast the fresh tomatoes with the other vegetables if you wish. If using canned, though, add them here.
2. Drizzle other vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss and bake at 350 to 425 for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender and slightly carmelized on the bottom, Stir occasionally. Drizzle olive oil onto garlic and roast in the same pan.
3. Combine vegetables and pot of broth; add wine and basil.
4. Return to boil over medium heat while stirring, reduce to simmer, and simmer for a couple of minutes to blend flavors.
5. Remove from heat, puree with immersion blender, and add whipping cream.
6. Reheat to warm cream but do not boil.
7. Adjust salt and pepper, but remember the parmesan cheese grated on top will be salty, too.
8. Serve with grated parmesan cheese