Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I get such comfort from knowing how powerful God is. I really believe His angels are sent to watch over us. I love the story of Elisha and Gehazi, when Ahab is after them and Gehazi tells Elisha they are surrounded and asks what they are going to do. Elisha prays for his eyes to be opened and Gehazi sees that between them and Ahab's army(I hope I'm naming the right evil king, but you get the drift), is an army of chariots and horses of fire. I like to remember the power God has at His disposal. I also love the story of Daniel and the lions den and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. When they are faced with overwhelming destruction, they are confident that God can save them, but say quite clearly that whether God chooses to spare them or not, they will serve Him. It reminds me that those faithful servants didn't try to determine what God would do, they just trusted Him. That has served me well, too. I won't compare myself to them except to say that when I put myself completely in God's hands, He never lets me down. I may not get what I pray for the way I want, but I know He loves me and knows best.

When mom died and when my brother died 16 years ago, I didn't understand, but was so comforted that I knew where they were, that they were in the presence of the Lord and happier than they had ever been. It helped me to know that I was grieving for myself. It didn't stop me grieving, but gave me perspective. I love that our lives here are but a vapor. They seem long to us, but in the scheme of eternity are not. I was comforted to think when mom died that I didn't have more than a half a vapor left before I was with her again.

Some glad morning when this life is over, I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away). [Chorus]
I'll fly away, Oh Glory I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye, I'll fly away (I'll fly away).
/II/ When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away) [Chorus]
/III/ Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away) [Chorus]

No comments:

Post a Comment